From preparing basic coverage maps, as seen in our galleries, to AM, FM, TV, STL, Microwave, DTV and LPTV engineering work our Doug Vernier Telecommunications Consulting division (DVT) can help.
Doug Vernier, owner and principal engineer, is a seasoned broadcast engineering consultant. He has been in the business for well over 25 years and has a life-time certification from the Society of Broadcast Engineers as a “Professional Broadcast Engineer.” Doug is regularly called on to deliver presentations within his expertise at broadcast engineering conferences throughout the U.S. (View the bottom of this page for various presentations.)
Doug Vernier is our president and senior broadcast engineer/technical consultant. Kate English is one of our technical consultants who can help you in your work with the FCC. John Gray is our director of research and development. Our clients are numerous, from virtually every state in the country. Whether you require a new frequency or an upgrade for an existing station the consulting staff can help you. Call us to discuss your broadcast engineering projects (800 743-3684.)
The following is a list of services we regularly provide:
- FCC standard FCC predicted signal contour levels AM, FM, TV, DTV, LPTV, LPFM and communication stations.
- Longley-Rice coverage maps using numerous more sophisticated routines for best “real world” predictions.” (Other propagation prediction methods are available including Okamura/Cost Hatta and line-of-sight Shadow.)
Ethnic origin, household and population demographics analyses
- Standard FCC contour overlap or U/D interference area representations
- FM radio Longley-Rice or TIREM defined coverage areas with interference areas subtracted; including population analysis.
- DTV incoming or outgoing interference analysis using FCC prescribed OET 69 methodology
- Client select interference analysis based on specific receiver specifications
- FM spacings channel studies
- FM contour to contour non-commercial educational, translator and Section 73.215 shortspace studies.
- DTV, NTSC, LPTV, TV translator and Class A channel studies
- AM allocation frequency searches
- STL Frequency Coordination
FCC applications and engineering
- DTV upgrade projects and new station applications
- FM upgrade projects and new station applications
- AM upgrade Projects
- FM and TV Channel allocation petitions
- Due diligence for sales or purchases
- Station site moves studies and FCC applications
- First/second service analysis (307B) and mapping
- Calculation of population within FCC contour overlaps
- Demographic analysis of market service.
- License applications
- TV analog and digital translator, FM translator engineering and applications
- FM and TV booster stations
- S.T.L. path analysis, frequency searches and applications
- Examine signal coverage and penetration
- Coverage improvement projects
- FM and TV Field strength measurements
Stations watch and alert service
- Monthly mailed channel-studies of client’s stations to alert against interference or competitive filings
- Alerts by telephone
- Auction support with regard to coverage and market analysis
- Post auction FCC filings
- Equipment evaluations
- Studio upgrade audits
For specific price quotes call 800 743-3684 and tell us about your project.
The software you see elsewhere on this site was developed by Doug and his staff for use in numerous broadcasting engineering consulting projects completed over the years.
Technical Papers and Presentations
Madison Broadcasters Clinic, 2014 – Status of the AM, FM and TV Bands (and their interference)
Nuts and Bolts of FM Allocations, SBE Webinar Link – 2012
Nuts and Bolts of FCC FM Allocations PDF (SBE webinar 2012)
Creative Strategies for Translators and Boosters, SBE Webinar Link- 2011
Madison Broadcasters Clinic, 2011 –FM Translators and Boosters PowerPoint -PDF
LightSquared, 4G/LTE and GPS (9/2011, Waterloo Technical Society (WTS) – PowerPoint -PDF
Propagation Prediction White Paper PDF
NAB Handbook 10th Edition – Propagation Character of Radio Waves (See Chapter 1.8)
Broadcast Propagation Quick Review, Presented to the WTC, 2010 PowerPoint
IBOC Host-Interference (Paper presented at PREC at NAB in Austin,TX – PDF)
Digital Radio (IBOC) Coverage and Interference PowerPoint – PDF
Midwest Broadcasters Clinic 2003 – Download zipped PowerPoint Presentation – DTV INTERFERENCE – OET-69
Iowa DTV Symposium, 2002, OET 69 Process: Why it doesn’t always work, Case Studies
For a price quote or more information on V-Soft broadcast engineering consulting services, e-mail “consulting at V-Soft.com“.
Call us at 800 743-3684.
You can FAX us at 319-432-7275.